Great North Run 2015

posted 5 Oct 2015, 05:46 by Enquiries campbeltownrunningclub   [ updated 5 Oct 2015, 05:47 ]

By Kerry O'May

57000 people and I was one of them! This was one of the races I have always wanted to run even before I actually started running. And I wasn’t disappointed. The crowds on the metro were outrageous. Alix had to push me in as I pulled on some guy to squash on to make sure I got to the start line on time. Maryann and I walked to our allocated pen there was just so many people about but there was a great ambience about it. The wheelchair race was first to start, then the females. There was also a warm up before we got started. Then the gun went for Mo Farah and the males. It didn’t take too long for us to get over the start line - 15 minutes. The first couple of miles were very crowded and it was hard to find a pace. It soon spread out though but it did get crowded at roundabouts and the flyovers but I did manage to get into a good pace and keep it going and picking up my pace the further into the race I got with my last mile being my fastest.

The most amazing part of the race for me was the red arrows flying overhead just as I was about to run over the Tyne Bridge. It is an experience I will never forget.

There was 15 bands playing along the course. I had a little dance, sing song and clap while I ran past.

Throughout the race the atmosphere from other runners and spectators was out of this world. The crowds were handing out orange quarters, jelly babies and ice poles which I just had to have.

The last 3 miles started to get very crowded again. People seemed to be slowing down as I was getting a bit faster. There was a lot more weaving in and out of people. I kept a look out for Alix and Dougie around mile 12 as that was where they had planned to cheer us on. I thought I had missed them but ¼ of a mile from the finish line I spotted my fantastic banner which Alix had made. Seeing them just spurred me on even more and I just sprinted to the end.

I had a smile on my face from start to finish. Loved every minute of it. It was the most amazing experience better than I could ever have imagined. And to top it off I knocked 13 minutes of my half marathon time and crossed the finish line smiling with a time of 1hr 55minutes.

This was Maryann first half marathon which she enjoyed and finished in a fantastic time of 2hrs 7minutes. Allan Reid was also running and he finished in a time of 1hr 38minutes.